jobs in Linux / IT

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 22 21:58:54 UTC 2005

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 05:23:47PM -0500, phil wrote:
> I suspect that the expansion of "skilled enough" causes most of the
> problem.    I recently saw an ad, insisting on someone with pthreads
> and sockets experience on Solaris.  It so happens that I *have* done
> that, but by specifying the OS, they were prejudicing the search
> against people who otherwise had the ability they needed.  (And
> learning the bits that Solaris does differently isn't a big deal!)

Hmm, I think it took me 30 minutes reading man pages in university to
figure out socket and pthreads on solaris since I decided they looked
nicer than select.  My assignment turned out much cleaner in my opinion
doing that than it would have with using select to handle multiple
connections.

Certainly many people when writing up job requirements don't know what
is important and what isn't and what skills are transferable between
systems that may appear very different.

Len Sorensen