FOSS and the election

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 22 17:15:09 UTC 2005

FYI:

I don't know whether anyone here considers open source to be important
enough of a public policy matter to consider it an election issue, but
consider this: The Green Party actually has as specific policy the
goal to:

> Require federal departments and agencies to transition to open
> source or free software for general applications, and provide free
> tech support to Canadian companies who also use this software.

http://www.greenparty.ca/article38.html

I searched for anything on the other party websites and found nothing
in terms of policy. The Liberals only talk about more university R&D
funds and the Conservatives seem to ignore technology altogether. The
NDP doesn't say anything as a party, but are running one candidate in
Manitoba who lists "FOSS advocate" in his bio:
http://www.ndp.ca/mathieuallard/welcome

Other notes: The Liberal site uses Microsoft ASP to run its "find your
candidate" facility, the Conservatives use PHP and the NDP site uses
Javascript.

- Evan