PVR's

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 21 14:07:21 UTC 2005

On 12/21/05, Peter <plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Tom Legrady wrote:
>
> > What about doing PVR on Mac?
> >
> > I have the promise of a generous wad of cash for my <very large number>
> > birthday, and I was thinking of building a Mac-based entertainment centre
>
> MiniMAC ? I see one playing at a mall here, it is driving a whole room
> full of flat screens for display. You have to look twice to spot it. I
> do not know if it can be done with a MiniMAC but it would be nice.

Given some MythTV equivalent, a MacMini would do OK to *play* TV
output.  I don't think it comes with a tuner suitable for encoding.
For that, and the "hefty horsepower," a dual G5 system would seem way
more plausible.

And that still leaves open the question of what to do about recording
from a tuner, which presumably requires some additional hardware.
Apparently some tuners work:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/OSX/os_x_tv_tuner_drivers.html

The real question is whether or not this plays nicely, giving an
Apple-style "integrated experience" as is true for things like
iTunes...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)