jobs in Linux / IT

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 21 14:01:55 UTC 2005

On 12/21/05, phil <phillip-l+pbsqP8NtUm29vl6s1fFg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Dec 21, 2005, at 8:31 AM, Neil Watson wrote:
>
> > "... in a 24x7 environment":  We are understaffed so you must work
> > overtime.
>
> :-)
>
> It strikes me that the WWW has created something like Heisenberg
> Computing:  As we come to tolerate less and less accuracy in our data,
> we inflate our demands for its immediacy.

There is another effect.

As relatively reliable OSes combine with inexpensive OSS shopping cart
software and web servers and the like, anyone can sell anything at any
time of the day, and keeping the "store" open during the wee hours
either comes at seemingly little cost or at seemingly significant
value since other timezones are awake to buy things when we are
asleep.

This sort of thing dictates "7x24" operations.

I got a bit put out on Sunday night when I saw that del.icio.us wasn't
responding; apparently adding it to the Yahoo! "empire" led to a wave
of new users that knocked it over.  And it was a definite "off hour"
when the outage took place, requiring that there be some people ready
to respond at a pretty evil time.  There's no obvious money there, but
I'm sure there were plenty of irritated users.
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)