jobs in Linux / IT

phil phillip-l+pbsqP8NtUm29vl6s1fFg at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 21 13:27:02 UTC 2005

On Dec 20, 2005, at 10:24 PM, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:

> At least some like you are able to see the absurdities around. I have
> in mind your previous mail as well.

I have been on both sides of the hiring desk in large and small
organizations, so I've seen some dumb things done by those hiring and
those applying for jobs.

> To see the absurdity of the system is one thing. To know though what
> is the reason of that absurdity.. is another one. And I guess that the
> reason is well hidden in socio-political processes around - these are
> not really fully governed by logic, perhaps more by short (not long!)
> term gain in profits.

Yes.  One example: I entered computing at a time when it was assumed
that sending people on training courses was a good idea.  As long as
everyone did that, there was no problem.  Soon thereafter, some
organizations decided that it was cheaper to "head hunt" people that
others had paid to train.  Which led to less company-sponsored
education, which contributes to a demand for overly-specific
requirements....

> I personally consider much what I see around as sick.

There's certainly a lot of reason to feel that way.  Sometimes "soft"
requirements are put in job descriptions with good intent and sometimes
not.  I think most experienced people know that "team player" and "good
communicator" and "energetic" are sometimes indicators of "sickness".
It's hard to know for sure until you're inside the organization.

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714