jobs in Linux / IT

Clive DaSilva cdasilva-q6EoVN9bke6w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 21 04:11:19 UTC 2005

Zbigniew Koziol wrote:

> phil wrote:
>
>> On Dec 20, 2005, at 7:13 PM, James Knott wrote:
>>
>>> Or looking for more
>>> years experience than the package has been around?
>>

>> My favorite of that style was: five years of Java and three years of
>> object-oriented programming.
>>
>> And the people who write illogical requirements always want someone
>> who "communicates well".  How could they judge?  :-)
>
> At least some like you are able to see the absurdities around. I have
> in mind your previous mail as well.
>
> To see the absurdity of the system is one thing. To know though what
> is the reason of that absurdity.. is another one. And I guess that the
> reason is well hidden in socio-political processes around - these are
> not really fully governed by logic, perhaps more by short (not long!)
> term gain in profits.
>
> I personally consider much what I see around as sick.
>
> First of all, in great amount of cases, not HR people should be
> dealing with recruiting new ones but people who are really aware well
> of what are the needs around. But thats only a part of the problem...
>
> zb.

I agree with that totally. HR and recruiters are the proverbial "blind
leading the blind" scenario, and not just in IT, its even worse in other
functions such as finance/accounting. When I was a hiring manager, I
would never allow some dweeb from HR to even screen the resumes for a
candidate who might eventually report to me. These days it seems as if
the business environment in most if not all areas are geared towards the
"quick fix" solutions, hiring practices being high on that list,
governed by lack of understanding of what skills are really required to
do the job,
and more of "will the candidate fit in" with the current tribe.

Thats how it seems to me anyway
my 2 bits ..:P