jobs in Linux / IT

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 21 00:16:34 UTC 2005

phil wrote:
> On Dec 20, 2005, at 4:55 PM, Christopher Browne wrote:
>
>> A common scenario seems to be that a lot of organizations are
>> forlornly searching for skilled staff.
>
> While, at the same time, there's an abundance of very experienced IT
> people unemployed, under-employed, or bouncing from one exploitive
> company to the next.
>
>> not finding people at the "skilled enough"
>> level.
>
> I suspect that the expansion of "skilled enough" causes most of the
> problem.    I recently saw an ad, insisting on someone with pthreads and
> sockets experience on Solaris.  It so happens that I *have* done that,
> but by specifying the OS, they were prejudicing the search against
> people who otherwise had the ability they needed.  (And learning the
> bits that Solaris does differently isn't a big deal!)

It's often the HR types that make that mistake.  The people who know
what they're doing generally don't.  I had one interview, a few years
ago, where they want someone with experience at using Ghost.  While I
had used Partition Magic extensively, that wasn't good enough.  I have
since used Ghost, and it wasn't much of a challenge.