Fastest KDE distro?

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 20 04:25:08 UTC 2005

On December 19, 2005 05:35 pm, Steve wrote:
> On 12/19/05, Byron Sonne <blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > My SuSE setup runs faster than anything I've ever seen. You need to
> > include some more specs about your system and what you do with it. For
> > all I know, you're running it on a P200.
>
> Sorry about that... AMD 2500+, 512MB OCZ Performance DDR400, Asus
> A7N8X-X, MSI (NVidia) FX5200TDI-128.
>
> Switching virtual desktops has a noticeable lag that I do not get in
> Gnome desktops (other things like minimizing/maximizing windows are
> also slower). I think my system is "middle of the road", so I wonder
> if KDE is meant mainly for faster machines?
>
> -Steve.

If you liked Ubuntu, then try Kubuntu.

I am currently running Kubuntu 5.10 Breezy 32 on an AMD Turion 64  ML30. No
lag whatsoever switching desktops.  Also running it on a AMD Barton 2800XP w
1GB DDR400. No lag on that one either. My Kids are all running it on their
computers. A PII 400 w/256 SDRAM, Celeron 533 w/256 SDRAM, and a PIII 733
w/256 SDRAM. The only one that has any lag is the PII, and it is not really
an issue.

If you have tried Kubuntu and had a poor experience, I have found that most of
the time it is the default kernel causing problems. Simply replacing the
stock i386 kernel with an appropriate one for your architecture. Or in my
case, the i686 kernel outperformed the k7 kernel by leaps and bounds.

And some info for those of you who have not yet tried Ubuntu / Kubuntu. On my
laptop everything worked without additional configuration after the
installation, including suspend to disk and suspend to ram. It even detected
and configured xorg for the ATI X700 card without any problems.

You can't say that for many other distros out there.

To each their own.

--
Jason Shein
Director of Networking, Operations and Systems
jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
( 905 ) - 876 - 4158 Voice
( 905 ) - 876 - 5817 Mobile
http://www.detachednetworks.ca