Fastest KDE distro?

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 19 22:34:44 UTC 2005

Steve wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a distro that uses KDE that is fast? I've tried
> Xandros and SuSE, but found both to be sluggish, whereas Gnome distros
> like Fedora and Ubuntu are pretty quick. Or is this just an inherent
> quality of KDE, that it is rather slow compared to Gnome?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> -Steve.

Give Mepis a try. I installed it from a simplyMepis livecd onto a
friend's HP Vectra, with (IIRC) 450Mhz processor and 96Mb of RAM. Apart
from an agonizing initial wait on loading firefox, it seems quite snappy.

Regardless, if Mepis can pull off decent KDE performance on an old
system like that, you might find it worth trying. For myself, Debian
with KDE or Kubuntu are excellent performers. Mandriva 2006 performs
well with KDE, but I am on better terms with .deb packages than .rpm so
I can't say that I have more than a few days worth of experience with
Mandriva.

SuSE seemed very slow (especially YaST) on my old athlon 2500+ with 1gb
of ram. Perhaps on a newer processor it would perform a little better.

Jamon