Partition Wizardry

John Wildberger wildberger-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 19 17:45:45 UTC 2005

On Monday 19 December 2005 12:19, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 03:11:07PM -0500, John Wildberger wrote:
> > I intend to add a second HD to my system, but am a little
> > concerned what this would do to my current system in terms of
> > drive letters (when in winXP) and how my linux assignments would
> > be affected.

> If you create one primary partition of a type windows can access it will
> be happy.  Any more partitions will have to be logical within one
> extended partition.  Not sure about OS/2 at all.  Windows XP does not
> rearange drive letters the way older dos based ones did.  dos based
> simply assigned drive letters in order to all primary partitions, and
> then to all logical partitions in disk order.  XP assigns drive letters
> based on the filesystem ID of the partition, so any new partitions get
> letters assigned after any existing drives.
>
> Len Sorensen
Suppose I delete the FAT32 primary partition on my first HD to give me
two available primary partitions for use on the second HD.
Then I could install OS/2 (or alternatively Win98) on the first primary
and use the second one as an extended partition for subdividing it
into umpteen logical drives, one for FAT32 and the others for misc linux
distros.
Do you think this would work?
I am almost willing to go ahead and do it, if for no other reason than to find
out what is going to happen.
John