Dell DJ Ditty

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 18 08:51:48 UTC 2005

On 12/17/05, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> This entry points out that the latest DJ Ditty software is certified
> to be "Microsoft PlaysForSure" compliant.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_PlaysForSure
>
> Until I read this, I thought PlaysForSure was software from Microsoft,
> but it appears to be a specification, a branding, and a license.
>
> This is scary.  Look at the "Criticisms" section.  For example, the
> wording of the licensing agreement prevents Ogg Vorbis from being
> supported.  Some think that it forbids USB mass storage functionality.
>
> Certainly, the iRiver players, when updated with PlaysForSure
> firmware, are no longer interesting to me.

(drifting further off-topic..)

This is awesome.. I can't wait until it becomes easier to buy a
handgun than an mp3 player.  Soon I'll need to be fingerprinted and
ear-tagged!  Whee!  =)

Well, thankfully mp3 playing technology is easy enough that homebrew
players will continue to exist for a good while.  I ran into (googles)
.. the Pez MP3 player[1] which is essentially a homebrew player.

With stuff like that around as inspiration, it's nice to think that I
could buy fair hardware in the future.  I don't expect to be
downgrading to the latest and greatest protected formats anyday.  MP3
was a poor choice, but back then ogg wasn't around and other formats
were massive.

It's too bad that ogg requires just a touch more firepower and has
poorer mini-hardware support, or that's what I've been led to believe.

[1] http://www.pezmp3.com/