Promoting Open Source in Schools

Marc Lijour marc-bbkyySd1vPWsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 17 23:43:17 UTC 2005

On Saturday 17 December 2005 11:07, Igor Denisov wrote:
> Almost forgot the 4th reason :-)
>
> 4. Apparent Laziness
>
> This is all over the place. Network techs don't want to have to know
> more. Teachers were barely able to teach themselves how to use
> FirstClass (at my old school, most still avoid it). The entire IT
> department doesn't want to support 2 OSes (OS X machines are in a
> ratio of 1:100 with PCs, so they don't count) .

In my board we don't use firstclass.

At UofT we use it but it has a web front end, then no problem!
(No linux client, shame!)

One of my colleagues started the networking of my school and a bunch of other
schools. He even got a working proposition to teach at the university!
He used all macs.
When the board started to take control, they said no macs, they installed
pcs+win everywhere and they said "now you can't touch anything", then they
locked him out.
He had to teach months with non-working computers (win instead of macs!), and
complaining. Finally, he went to tell the board that he won't teach anymore
cs classes. This is how boards lose good employees.
(Who is staying? :-) )

> A 'why bother' attitude prevails because no one's pocket is directly
> hit and having one or two of twenty computers constantly not work
> doesn't seem like a very big deal.

Shame.
When we think that we train these kids to work in a corporate environment!!