Promoting Open Source in Schools and training

paul sutton zen14920-1HOZaDBbGgxaa/9Udqfwiw at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 17 22:00:34 UTC 2005

I think thats the problem we have in England,  I am hoping to get a job
that will put me in a positon to try things out,  and perhaps push open
source (not Linux on the desktop in the first instance) and find out
what schools need in the UK,  When I come over to Toronto Next year, it
will be a chance to discuss things at meetings and we can swap ideas.

http://www.osv.org.au/

catalogue quite big but has lots of nice software in there that could be
useful to schools, and most of it runs on either Linux or windows,   I
guess the only real way to use some of the normal teaching software is
to use wine,  which is still in development,  and can be slow even on a
duron 1600,

One thing that is interesting is the site http://www.traininghott.com/
which is one a local training center,  while it offers LPI etc,  I think
what is needed is something that covers the basics,  e.g KDE etc,  from
a normal user perspective,  also something that ideally costs <$100,  or
even better <$50,

Regarding course costs this is where we need to be careful regarding TCO
issues. Training costs are in there with this.

Paul