.ca dn registration - any recommendations for inexpensive registration?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 17 20:54:16 UTC 2005

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Peter Armstrong wrote:

| Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:42:29 -0500
| From: Peter Armstrong <pwa.linux-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
| To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
| Subject: Re: [TLUG]: .ca dn registration - any recommendations for inexpensive
|      registration?
|
| > --- Leigh Honeywell <nyetwork-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

| > > for .ca dn's?

| > > http://www.netfirms.ca/domain-names
| > > >

| Actually, if you try to purchase a .ca from
| Netfirms,
| the final price is $18.09, not $9.95 as advertised!!
|
| Double what they advertise(!).
|
| They add on $6.95 for "Shipping & Handling Surface
| Mail (CAN)"(?!), and of course gst of  $1.19, for a
| total $18.09

This is ourtrageos.  So I thought I'd check.

I just asked their live chat support about this.  They seem to think
the S&H is for some CD that sounds useless.

Did you get a CD?

BTW, the prices are in Canadian dollars.

    Chat Information Welcome to the Netfirms Live Sales Chat! A Sales
    Representative will assist you shortly.
    Chat Information You are now chatting with 'Ryan'
Ryan: Hello, thank you for contacting us. How may I help you today?
Hugh: Your web page says that a domain is $9.95 / year. I've heard
    that you actually charge a large "shipping and handling" fee on top of
    that, but I do not see that mentioned on your page. Can you point me
    to this policy?
Ryan: The domain name is $9.95= $10.65 with taxes. We do not charge a
    shipping and handling fee unless you order the Net Objects Starter CD
    which is NOT mandatory.
Hugh: OK. All I want is to renew my domain. I don't need a DNS host
    and I don't need a web host. So it would be $10.65 / year? That's
    good.
Ryan: I will be right with you.
Ryan: Yes but did your domain already expire?
Hugh: no. A month or two away.
Ryan: You can transfer your domain using the registrar transfer option
    for the aforementioned price
Ryan:
    https://secure.netfirms.ca/signup/ca-en/signup-fs_domainlookup?hostingproduct=hostingbasic