Promoting Open Source in Schools

Zbigniew Koziol zkoziol-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 17 17:47:22 UTC 2005

Christopher Browne wrote:
> On 12/17/05, Zbigniew Koziol <zkoziol-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>

>>Isnt the same in this case danger with using Linux as well? One needs
>>just the first installation CD to put in and get full access (not even
>>with of the same distribution). Or is there perhaps a way that this
>>could be prevented?
>

> Good question.  If some form of strong authentication is in use, that
> could make it difficult to replace the installation with something
> else.  "Difficult" and "impossible" are obviously two different words.

It seems that TAA answered that in the best possible way?

Using terminal access would greately incresed security. And created at
the same time other security problems on the main machine ;)

>>Wouldnt it be less expensive to use just one powerfull machine for
>>entire school/organization and connect to it by using 100$ terminal
>>machines only, and run in that way any X applications?

> It is also not clear how well that approach scales.  What works OK
> with ten terminals may not be so OK with 100, or 1000.

Sure.

I have at home a copy of entire Strategies Canada web site (a gov.
directory of businesses in Canada, these that were willing to register
there). It contains around 70,000 records with detailed information
about Canadian companies (btw, could sell copies for low cost to any one
interested in - this is legal). Of these 70,000 at least 2/3 are
companies with less than 10 people. And how many businesses, especially
smaller ones, are not registered there? Actually most of people employed
in Canada (or any other country) are working for such small companies.

zb.