Promoting Open Source in Schools

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 16 22:58:17 UTC 2005

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 07:40:38PM +0000, paul sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was wondering if anyone in the Toronto area. has been involved in
> getting open source into schools and if they could share their
> experience.  In the Uk I have just joined with some of the more local
> linux users to promote Linux in torbay, partly as we live locally so
> it's much easier to do things on a local level,  the rest of the DC
> lug are spread over quite a big distance (Well in Uk terms anyway),  I
> think in the uk no one is more than about 75 miles from the coast.
>
> As i am planning to be in the Toronto area about End of April / May I
> will hopefully be able to take part in group meetings, and possibly
> projects,  even though I am also going to be looking for work
> initially,

It will likely be waste of time.  Not sure how UK schools are funded,
but here Ontario Gov funds the school.  Tough sell to begin with.  Then,
you have to deal with IT staffs at Ministry of Education, various school
boards, and then teachers/secretary.  None will welcome Linux, because
Linux threatens their job security.  And, you can't fire those people
who refuses to learn Linux.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
BashDiff: Super Bash shell