Opinions sought on webserver/mysql server layout

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 16 03:53:57 UTC 2005

I agree with Scott. there is no right answer to this question.

The question you should ask is how important is the data in the database.

Consider two example:
1) the data in the database is configuration data for the webpages such as php pages. In this case a database should definitely be in the DMZ. There is no point in opening a possible security hole for this type of data.

2) The data in the database is credit card numbers of customer. In this case this should be in the internal network. The extra security risk is more than compensated by an increase in the security offered by requiring the intruder to break into two different machines.

I hope this helps.

Bill