Can't make connection away from home

moliver-fC0AHe2n+mcIvw5+aKnW+Pd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org moliver-fC0AHe2n+mcIvw5+aKnW+Pd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 15 20:45:07 UTC 2005

Quoting Joseph Kubik <josephkubik-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>:

> 63.201.39.254    is your default router.
> On linux, when you run route -n what is the default route set to?
> Can you ping the default route?

On linux, here's the output:
Destination      Gateway   Genmask         Flags  ... Iface
70.137.191.254   0.0.0.0   255.255.255.255 UH         ppp0
192.168.0.0      0.0.0.0   255.255.255.0   U          eth0
0.0.0.0          192.168.0.1  0.0.0.0      UG         eth0

I can ping 70.137.191.254 (this address changes each time I try it).
If I try to ping 192.168.0.0 it asks me if I want to ping broadcast,
and suggests "ping -b".  I can't ping 192.168.0.1; response is

  From 192.168.0.6 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable

The address 192.168.0.6 is the one currently hardcoded in my KDE
"Networking" applet as the manual IP address for eth0.