Running k3b without KDE

Thu Dec 15 17:15:25 UTC 2005

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 10:29:22AM -0500, Christopher Browne wrote:
>On 12/15/05, William O'Higgins Witteman <william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> There are a couple of KDE apps that I'd like to run, but I don't want to
>> actually use KDE - I use OpenBox on the desktop and wmii on the laptop.
>
>In effect, KDE *is* the apps; if you think you don't want to use it,
>you, by inference don't want to use them.

-snip-

>There are two perspectives that *are* legitimate:
>
>1.  KDE is an application development framework.
>2.  KDE is a set of applications that USE that application development
>framework.
>
>If you don't want to use KDE, then you obviously *don't* want the
>application framework or the applications.  You can't have apps
>without the framework.
>
>The same applies to GNOME, in pretty well identical ways;
>s/KDE/GNOME/g as needed.

Thanks for the clarification.  I do know the difference, but you
wouldn't know it from my post.  I don't mind the KDE framework, I mind
the associated window manager and desktop environment -- it is those
that I wish to avoid being burdened with.

>None of these are KDE issues.  They are issues as to what "helper
>applications" k3b depends on happen to be installed.
>
>I seriously doubt Xnest will do anything to help; if it did, that
>would demonstrate something seriously wrong with KDE components, as
>the graphical bits operate as X clients.

Xnest does fix the problem, and I suspect that there is something
seriously wrong with the KDE components - they are/can be designed to
rely on components that may not be in use, but they don't fail
completely when they are not found.  The issue seems to be that k3b was
relying on a KDE desktop component to obtain the configuration file, and
that was only in place when I ran the desktop in Xnest.

Thanks again for the clarification and the input.
--

yours,

William