.ca dn registration - any recommendations for inexpensive registration?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 13 19:30:08 UTC 2005

On 12/13/05, Stephen <stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> PW Armstrong wrote:
>
> > can anyone recommend an inexpensive registrar for .ca dn's?
> >
> > btb, why is it more expensive (so it seems to me) to register a .ca dn
> > than a .com dn?  any reason for this, or just lack of competition?
>
> Just lack of competition.

Incorrect.  See the CIRA "Fees Policy."
http://www.cira.ca/en/documents/2005/q2/FeesPolicyAndRules-1.6.txt

If you check the ICANN agreements, you'll find that the typical 1 year
registration fees for gTLDs is between $5.75 and $6.00 USD.  For .COM,
the registration fee is $6 USD/yr.

CIRA used to charge registration fees of $25/yr, and registrars would
have to charge something in addition to cover any costs they incur.
The price has fallen to $8.50 CDN, which makes $10 a pretty decent
price.  That's not much more than $6 USD...

Anyone that charges less than $8.50 MUST be looking for money somewhere else...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)