Suse 10 Review

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 13 15:45:46 UTC 2005

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 09:38:11AM +0200, Peter wrote:
> The tty on a 33MHz machine is slow, period. I still have 33MHz machines
> (two) that work and they are slow slow. That's the way it is. 33MHz
> machines have problems keeping up with 115kBaud serial streams while not
> doing anything else, for example (of course no deep FIFOs).

I would think a 16550A with the 16byte FIFO would take care of that.
Always did in the past as far as I recall.  Of course the 8250's with no
FIFO could barely run 19200 or 38400 on a machine that speed.  I
remember my Amiga500 could handle 19200 just fine, although I think I
had it configured to use a 512byte buffer on the serial port (gotta love
hardware flexible enough to allocate a chunk of memory for the serial
ports own use).

Len Sorensen