Intermittent Connectivity Problem [was Re:linux problem]

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 12 20:43:13 UTC 2005

On 12/12/05, Robert Brockway <rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Jerome Macaranas wrote:
>
> > hi all,
> >
> >       I have a system that serves HTTP and PGSQL ( serves locally only
> contents for
> > dynamic HTTP conntents )... it runs on Redhat 9 with 2G memory..... for
> some
> > reason the box just suddenly became unavailable... the server is
> pingable..
> > but services running on it is unaccessible .. HTTP, SSH... Ive already
> > checked the logs... but didn't saw anything unusual..

In addition to all of the good things Rob mentioned, have you VACUUMed your
Postgres database recently?

I experienced a 'knee' of performance on one of my database servers
recently, and did a VACUUM that took 45 minutes to complete. After that,
performance was almost two orders of magnitude better. There used to be a
daily VACUUM on that server but due to some other changes it was disabled.
There is now a daily VACUUM on all of my database servers.

And of course, when all else fails, check what the log files are saying. If
you use Nagios to monitor the server (from another box, obviously) you
should get some kind of warning that the system is degrading.

Looks like you've got some fun investigative work ahead of you.

Alex

If the box becomes unavailable how are you getting in to checkout the