linux problem

Fernando Duran liberosec-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 12 16:53:47 UTC 2005

--- Jerome Macaranas <jerome-mhXWc29+iYPyG1zEObXtfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> hi all,
>
> 	I have a system that serves HTTP and PGSQL ( serves
> locally only contents for
> dynamic HTTP conntents )... it runs on Redhat 9 with
> 2G memory..... for some
> reason the box just suddenly became unavailable...
> the server is pingable..
> but services running on it is unaccessible .. HTTP,
> SSH... Ive already
> checked the logs... but didn't saw anything
> unusual..

just off the top of my head:

- check if services are running:
service httpd status, ps aux|grep httpd

- check if they are listening
netstat -l

- restart them, restart network:
service httpd restart, service network restart

if there's an error in the operation it will show in
the logs

- check mem space (HD and RAM) and CPU
df, free, top

- see if you can connect locally to services

- revire firewall
iptables -l

- review all relevant logs, not just /var/log/messages
but for example /var/log/secure, /var/log/httpd etc

hope it helps,

Fernando

> thanks,
> --
> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings:
> http://tlug.ss.org
> TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text
> below 80 columns

Fernando Duran
http://www.fduran.com