Memory leak

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 11 19:36:49 UTC 2005

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 wildberger-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org wrote:

> In a recent post Lennart Sorensen referred to memory leaks in Firefox Browser.
> What exactly is a memory leak in this context??

I also saw something that may be a memory leak (or just severe
fragmentation). The firefox (1.0.6) slows down noticeably after 2-3 days
of continuous use with sometimes 10+ tabs open. Then it has to be
stopped and restarted. Sometimes, rarely, it crashes like this. Since
plugins were involved in all cases the Firefox may not be the only thing
to blame. Swap consumption did not seem excessive in any instance (that
did not crash). The crash took down the X11 server which then restarted.
This points to resource exhaustion but it has happened too rarely to
matter, and may be connected to rogue plugin code that does bad things
only in combination with certain web sites (and maybe flash ads).

Peter