Playing DVDs on Windows and *nix

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 11 17:46:27 UTC 2005

> At the very least, you have the two contradictory extremes of:
>  a) Students willing to die in protests;
>  b) Government officials prepared to order tanks driven over their people.
>
> Neither of those particular categories are terribly much likely to
> apply to emigrants to Canada.

Strangely I worked with two people that were in Tienamin Square that week at two different places. It seems that many of the protestors that were marked by the police found their way to Canada because Canada accepted their refugee status while the U.S. was cozying up to China at the time and refused refugee status for them.

I wouldn't be surprised if several thousand of the people in Tienamin Square ended up in Toronto.

As for China being a unified ethnic group, remember that the North Western Chinese are caucasian, the south eastern have brown skin. There is at least three incompatible languages all of which are called Chinese. There is at least three major religion not including Christianity and Islam (both of which are minor religions in China). Now add the cultural diversity of China.

If the Chinese are single ethnic group then so are the Europeans.

Bill