Playing DVDs on Windows and *nix

meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 11 04:55:01 UTC 2005

I was just watching a DVD-R movie on my PC.
The cover in the video store warned that it was a DVD-R
and that as long as the store player could play it and you could not,
you would not get a refund.

I tried playing it on vlc in Windows XP.
About 1/3 into the movie, vlc crapped out.
Tried twice restarting and playing it, it crapped out again.
But not at exactly the same spot.

Switching to vlc on FreeBSD 6.0, I finished watching the movie.
While watching I paused it and after checking email and surfing a couple of sites,
I returned to vlc and found it wouldn't continue.
On restarting, it continued without problems.
I even paused it again to see if it'll freeze - it continued playing without a hiccup.

Maybe I should try it on my debian box but that will be pushing it
as it is a 300MHz box with a 4Mb video card :-)

vlc on Windows and *nix, what a diff :-)