Linux still largely invisible in the marketplace

Stewart C. Russell scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 11 03:22:10 UTC 2005

Peter wrote:

> Actually my first first Linux experience was with Lasermoon Linux (from
> UK), as demo live disk on a PC Windows (?) magazine cover disk.

It was probably Personal Computer World magazine, the UK equivalent of
Byte. I remember them being quite friendly with Lasermoon.

ISTR being able to buy the full Linux manpage set, laser-printed and
ringbound from Lasermoon. They also did their own highly proprietary
distro (Linux-FT) that was the first to have POSIX certification.

Sadly, their domain now points to a laser eye surgery splog.

  Stewart
(who once ran a DEC machine that was set to swap to a 50MB DECTape. It's
probably still trying to start that first job ...)