Video on Linux 101 (was Re:new microsoft software bug reporting tool could really result in higher quality at MS)

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 10 20:10:53 UTC 2005

ted leslie wrote:

>you have to see the video before you say this :)

What I mean to say is that _any_ made-by-Microsoft video would be done
using its latest-and-greatest video codec. This has the direct (and
intended) effect of forcing Windows users to upgrade to the latest
version of Media Player (which includes more DRM-enforcement stuff than
previous versions). Another (happy for Microsoft) consequence is that
it's harder to watch on an open source platform since it hasn't (yet)
been reverse-engineered enough to enable native support.

In any case, most Linux media players will at least be able to support
the files's audio codec, meaning that even if you can't watch the file
you should be able to listen to it like radio. I did listen to (a while
of it) before posting.

- Evan