Linux still largely invisible in the marketplace

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 10 19:41:16 UTC 2005

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 12:33:02PM -0500, billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 11:10:19AM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > No, I was using 80M on a 213M drive for the first install.  Lots of room
> > for swap, not that it needed it.  The machine was a 486DX50 with 8M of
> > ram.  And the kernel was 0.99something.  Whatever SLS 1.03 had.
> >

> That was a sweet machine back then.

It was my dad's cad system.  It had a #9 Level 25 video card (2M VRAM,
1M DRAM, 40MHz TI34020), and since the phoenix vga chip on that card
sucked it also had an ATI VGA Wonder XL24 in it linked by VESA
passthrough.  Most people have never even seen a DX50, and always assume
it must have been a DX/2 50.  People also wondered what 213M disk was
required for when 80M was the common size.  What is 213M today?  A
rouding error on your partition size?  What a difference a decade or so
makes.

> I checked, my memory is failing me. The kernel was 0.99.3 on slackware distro at the time, and it came with source for 1.0.9
>
> Since Slakware was SLS with the propreitary stuff ripped out and replaced, I'd guess you started with almost the same distro.

Yeah slackware today still looks very much like SLS did then.  It always
makes me think slackware hasn't done anything to improve in all those
years.

Len Sorensen