Linux still largely invisible in the marketplace

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 10 11:54:13 UTC 2005

William Park wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 09:27:51PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
>> William Park wrote:
>>> Simple.
>>>     - It's not their money.
>>>     - Sysadmin has somthing to do.
>>>     - Users have something to do.
>> It's also lost corporate data.
>
> Yes.  But, did someone got fired for that?

Not that I'm aware of and they're still using Outlook.  Windows has got
people so used to computer problems, that they don't know better.  They
simply have never worked with reliable computer systems.  I was working
with mini-computer systems for a few years before I even saw MS-DOS or
Windows.  Then, while using DOS on work and home computers, I felt
frustrated by what it could do.  Then I used OS/2 for several years and
managed to avoid all the "fun" Windows users were having.  Then, I
switched to Linux on my home systems.  Whenever I have to use Windows, I
am appauled at what others consider normal computer operation.  I am not
used to losing data.  I am not used to having to reboot when my Windows
locks up.  I am not used to worrying about malware etc.  I am used to
solid, reliable computers and I don't find that with Windows.

Incidentally, a few years ago, I was supporting users on OS/2, Windows
95 and NT.  One thing I found is that once an OS/2 user was set up and
running, I almost never heard from them again.  W95 generated many
problems and while NT was much better than W95, it still wasn't anywhere
near as good as OS/2.