OT: Update re Computer Disposal by the City

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 10 00:00:32 UTC 2005

> Likewise, having extra PCs lying around doesn't mean I have any more
> computing power of any meaningful sort; one AMD64 box is some
> ludicrous factor more powerful than anything that is coming out of any
> leasing situation.  And it being not THAT expensive, I'd rather have
> the fresh, new box that occupies ONE tower space rather than some sort
> of "Beowulf cluster" of P200's that have *less* memory, *less* disk,
> *less* CPU power, and which generate more heat.
>
> Based on this model, it makes *no* sense to look at anything recycled.
>
> And I don't think this is that "deviant" a perspective.

One use I have put recycled machines to use is as a cheap disk array. A promise card, some new disks and something salvaged out of a dumpster makes a great terabyte array that can be set up as a NFS or SAMBA drive.

I haven't had any use for old machines other than this. I am retiring my old boxes as the drives die as well although I have some of the old indestructable cases I just can't get myself to throw out.

Bill