OT: Update re Computer Disposal by the City

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 9 21:44:11 UTC 2005

| From: Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org>
|
| Meng Cheah wrote:
|
| > The computers left at the City's Recycling Depots and Environment Days
| > events go to ADL Process Inc. They have the 2005 contract. This company
| > dismantles computers and disposes of the components to scrap metal and
| > plastic dealers. It seems that the computers that the City receives are not
| > of a high enough caliber to be refurbished.
|

| Thanks for the update.
|
| I would challenge that assertion, for it may assume that the refurbished
| computers may need to be capable of running recent versions of Windows. Maybe
| it is worth asking what they consider to be "high enough calibre".

I've been to "Environment Days" about three times in the last two
years.
  http://www.toronto.ca/environment_days/
  http://www.toronto.ca/environment_days/activities.htm

- in a different park each time
- accept stuff that is not normally allowed in garbage
- make pamphlets and recycling gear (blue boxes etc.) available.

They had a depot for working electronic stuff.  I don't remember the exact
criteria.  These were collected by a charity (I don't remember which one).

Much electronic stuff was sent to ADL.

I saw lots of stuff with promise that was sent to ADL.  I don't think
that ADL tries to reuse anything.

I asked (several times, several people) if there was anything
volunteers could do to help divert stuff from ADL.  I was actually
thinking of TLUG.  But the answer was always "no".

A year and a half ago, I did manage to snag a pretty reasonable PIII
whitebox from the jaws of the ADL bin.  It had a bum hard disk -- not
much of a challenge for me.  With a bunch of us, and 110V power (not
always available), we TLUGgers could set up a pretty useful triage
station for old PCs.

One question: what would one do with the old PCs that were rescued?
I'm not sure that Toronto is short of PCs.  Decent new PCs (better
than 90% of old PCs) are not very expensive at all.

My intuitive valuations of computers were formed too long ago.  When I
started using computers, small computers cost the same as mansions
(1966).  Then they cost the same as cars (~1972).  I got my first new
computer as a substitute for a heifer (1982).  Now they cost the same
as a really fancy dinner for four (Splendido's three course prix fixe
menu is $82; don't forget the tip; drinks extra) (I picked Splendido
because it is on Harbord, close to TLUG meetings).