Linux still largely invisible in the marketplace

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 9 21:31:24 UTC 2005

Andrej Marjan <amarjan-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> writes:

> I won't comment on the quality of the code, but I will say that Mozilla and
> Firefox seem to interact really poorly with NT's craptacular scheduler and VM
> system. If you have enough RAM, the following config setting is a must under
> Windows:
>

> // keep browser from releasing its working set to NT when minimized --
> so it doesn't have to get paged in later
> user_pref("config.trim_on_minimize", false);
>
> Actually that's a general point: I have no less than 20 settings in user.js
> on any platform to make Firefox bearable. Mozilla is the Emacs of web
> browsers! :D

People used to say Emacs stands for Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping!
That was in the days of 8MB Sun3s. I'd be happy if Firefox or Mozilla
occupied only 8MB.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada