Linux still largely invisible in the marketplace

Rick Tomaschuk rickl-ZACYGPecefkm4kRHVhTciCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 9 15:06:19 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 22:39 -0500, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Rick Tomaschuk wrote:
>
> >I travel a lot through the US and Canada and am frustrated that after
<cut>
> Hi Rick,
<cut>
> I understand what you're saying but I can't completely agree with it for
> a couple of reasons.
> Europe, Asia and South America. Countries like China, Bulgaria, Malaysia
> and Brazil are using Linux to create domestic systems software
> infrastructures, open source is practically becoming a matter of public
> policy.

The reason all of the list server recipients are aware of Linux is
through years of 'community' effort. For the average newbie the concept
of Linux or an alternative to Windows simply does not stand out. We are
readily aware of McDonalds, Wal Mart, Canadian Tire, Dell, Windows,
Goodyear, Molson, Saturn, CNN, CBC. Would Linux fit into the list? No.

> The trend is changing here too, but this is the enemy's home turf; the

The enemies home turf is where ever they can challenge the legal system
with enough BS, control the situation and prevail...at least on the
rulings. Piracy is another issue.

> filthy politics at play simply because the government of Massachusetts
> wants to enforce open standards for documents. This crap simply wouldn't
> be tolerated in most other countries today; indeed, the arrogance of the
> proprietary vendors at play in Mass would work strongly against them in
> most other countries.

Oddly enough filthy politics traditionally aren't tolerated here. The
reason America (and Canada) were created was to guarantee freedom to the
'huddled masses' from tyranny.

> In the case of most proprietary systems software, the primary market is

RickT