Linux still largely invisible in the marketplace

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 9 14:23:56 UTC 2005

My wife refused for a long time to use Linux on her computer, having been
completely traumatized by the Unix command line. However, when Microsoft
changed the file formats so that Office couldn't read anything and she was
faced with spending many hundreds of dollars on the latest version of
Office, she agreed that Open Office was a better bargain - regardless of
the learning curve. And, as Evan pointed out, the desktop is now at the
point where it's very user friendly.

I've noticed  lately that she rarely reverts to the Windows partition at all.

Peter

>> software.  The last figure I remember from CAST was that the piracy rate
>> in Canada was something like %30.  Imagine if Microsoft was to start
>> suing users in North America for illegal software.  I gather Linux on
>
> I doubt piracy of windows is that low. I don't know a single person that
> has paid for windows or Office and many of them run their businesses on
> these products.
>
> It is one reason why I refuse to support Windows customers. They simply
> expect you to help them pirate software that runs on windows as part of
> the support contract.
>
> Bill

Peter Hiscocks
Professor Emeritus,