OT: Update re Computer Disposal by the City

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 8 21:49:20 UTC 2005

Meng Cheah wrote:

> Update/Correction: (I was informed by the City today)
>
> The computers left at the City's Recycling Depots and Environment Days
> events go to ADL Process Inc. They have the 2005 contract. This
> company dismantles computers and disposes of the components to scrap
> metal and plastic dealers. It seems that the computers that the City
> receives are not of a high enough caliber to be refurbished.

Thanks for the update.

I would challenge that assertion, for it may assume that the refurbished
computers may need to be capable of running recent versions of Windows.
Maybe it is worth asking what they consider to be "high enough calibre".

In such cases it's easier to toss than to reuse -- especially if they
don't know that modern Linux can work on older, slower PCs. Also
consider that there are a lot of PC parts that are neither suitable for
scrap metal or plastics recycling (circuit boards, hard drives, etc.)

- Evan