TLUG and government grants

Tony Abou-Assaleh taa-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 8 18:26:25 UTC 2005

> > Basically, it appears that GTALUG doesn't have a mandate from the TLUG
> > membership to act on it's behalf -- The membership being defined as one
> > being subscribed to the TLUG e-mail list at the time GTALUG was being
> > formed.
> >
> It doesn't matter what your position or anyone elses is. Presently GTALUG runs this mailing list and runs the club. If you feel that they are doing a bad job your recourse of action is to become and member of GTALUG and change it from within. Whining about it on the mailing list isn't going to accomplish anything.
>
> Another options is to leave here and go off and create your own club and mailing list. This has happened several time in the past with mixed success.

Since the TLUG list members never voted on GTALUG representing them, it
does not matter whether GTALUG runs the list and meeting or not, they
still represent only their own paid members, and not the whole community.
Of course, that is only from the legal point of view. In practice,
companies may choose to believe otherwise.

An alternative to the 6 month free membership of TLUG members in GTALUG
(this option has too many holes), GTALUG may simply propose to TLUG
members that GTALUG becomes the voice of those on the list, whether
they're member or not. I think this is fairly easy to do, require to
changes in GTALUG, and would address the issue that GTALUG was not voted
on by TLUG members.

Cheers,

TAA

Tony Abou-Assaleh
Lecturer, Computer Science Department
Brock University, St. Catharines, ON, Canada, L2S 3A1
Office: MC J215
Tel:    +1(905)688-5550 ext. 5243
Fax:    +1(905)688-3255
Email:  taa-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org