Hey guys...

Rob Sutherland rob-HoWcdTCbwWKHoZZAE0nKLw at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 8 16:34:48 UTC 2005

I've been watching TLUG or whatever for the last couple of years with a
mixture of
frustration and bemusement and given the latest flamewar about the
structure and/or lack
of it I think I've had enough.

First, there's no point screaming at the people who've wound up holding
the bag and putting
in time to try and make it work. If you honestly believe that they're
the Minions of Satan(tm)
then book a room at the local library, put an ad on Craigslist, set up a
mailing list and start up
your own organization with the structure *you* want.

Secondly, since there are problems, the thing to do is set up an area to
discuss and hopefully address
them where this won't involve the majority of list users, who doubtless
regard this entire "debate"  as a nasty
waste of time. Why not set up another mailing list to discuss this and
make the topic off-topic on
the main list? Other LUGs do this and even if it winds up being the same
crap, at least it doesn't force
J. Random Linux User to wade through it. I can see no reason this can't
be done.

I'm sufficently exercised that I'm going to drop off the list for a few
weeks right after I send this and see if
anything gets resolved. Please, people, take a deep breath and try to
back off from this razor dance. A LUG is
a vitally important part of the linux thing and the mailing list is the
heart of the LUG. Continuing to escalate
the acrimony level, for whatever reasons, will just increase the
difficulty level for everyone.

See you in January,

Rob

--