The benefits of having an incorporation [was Re:Incorporation redux]

G. Matthew Rice matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 8 16:08:43 UTC 2005

Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> writes:
> > This has probably be answered before, but what things, in terms of
> > infrastucture, do these national bodies provide?
>
> The most obvious one is to provide an "entity" for the purpose of signing
> any kind of contract, so individual LUG members can't be held liable for
> signing on behalf of the group.

There are other less obvious items that these bodies provide which are just
as, or more, useful.  For example, CLUE is also hosting two LUG sites and
mailing lists:

        http://test.linux.ca/drupal (will become newtlug.linux.ca)
and     http://nolug.linux.ca/drupal (will become nolug.linux.ca)

For groups with more resources, we either assign a complete subdomain to the
group for them to use as they see fit (including their own DNS servers) such
as:

        http://www.sask.linux.ca/

or just host the DNS for them so that their one machine can concentrate on
their web and mail services.  Such as:

        http://hamilton.linux.ca/

This is available for any group in Canada, BTW.

Of course, there's also the 'kill the hotmail.com email addresses' campaign,
too, where any registered person gets a free @linux.ca alias which forwards
to their registered e-mail address.

Perhaps, GTALUG could offer similar perks to their members.  'Member' sites
such as membername.gtalug.org and @gtalug.org email addresses, that is.

BTW, for anyone looking for that new look on the CLUE site that was mentioned
in another thread, it hasn't launched yet.  It's at:

        http://www.linux.ca/drupal

The one thing that makes me happiest about the move to drupal is that we can
connect the forums and the mailing lists.  So dinosaurs like me can continue
to use mailing lists to communicate while others can use the forums (blech).

Regards,
--
g. matthew rice <matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>           starnix, toronto, ontario, ca
phone: 647.722.5301 x242                                  gpg id: EF9AAD20