Incorporation redux

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 8 09:11:45 UTC 2005

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org writes:

> On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 07:51:38PM -0500, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> > All the signs have been -- and not a single argument here has challenged
> >the notion -- that GTALUG was created to fix something that was never
> >broken. Having a corporation doesn't magically make the website easier to
> >manage or spam easier to extract from mailing lists. Nor does it simplify
> >volunteer recruitment. In fact, it complicates things because of the costs
> >and extra paperwork involved.
> >
> Your view here is irrelevent for two reasons.

Evan's view is relevant because he's a member.

> The first is that the people who did run TLUG, which you seem to forget you
> are not part nor have been part of for as long as I have been volunteering,

[snip]

> The people who run the group have chosen the model they are following not
> by arguing on a mailing list but by lining up to help.

[snip]

> The people who run this club chose the model of incorporation to handle
> this limited goal.

[snip]

> The affairs and circumstances of TLUG were such that those in charge
> decided that incorporation was the best route.

[snip]

> The incorporation is done and it is the corporation that runs this
> club.

[snip]

"The people who run this club", "those in charge", "the incorportion", ....
I sense a pattern.

> Continually complaining about it on the mailing list is counter
> productive and shows a lack of respect to the people that put in the time
> and effort to organize it.

But telling members that their views are irrlevant and that they should bow
to the superior wisdom of those in charge is respectful? You have an
interesting definition of respect.

> The people on the board support it. They don't really care what the people
> that don't support believe.

The people in charge don't take kindly to criticism.

> If you feel that what is being done is wrong you can become a member and
> run for election to the board next year and change the direction of the
> club. Nothing is stopping you from doing so.

As soon as he pays his $20 to become a member, you mean.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada