TLUG vs. GTALUG

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 8 08:52:53 UTC 2005

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org writes:

> There is no requirements of membership to be on this list or to attend the
> public meetings. If the board decides to do something only for the members
> you would not be invited, but that has never happened yet.

And therein lies the rub. I've been a member of TLUG since about 1997. I've
personally contributed in a meaningful way, although not so much recently,
both via the mailing lists and through my participation at meetings and
various events and initiatives, including a great deal of volunteer time at
the CLUE centre, installfests, trade shows, and sundry "executive"
meetings. Furthermore, I've made direct financial contributions through my
company Starnix, my partners (Matthew Rice and formerly Evan Leibovitch and
Bill Duncan) have given huge amounts of time, and we have encouraged our
staff to participate in and contribute to TLUG.

Yet, I'm no longer a full member because I haven't paid my membership dues.
It's not that I object to paying $20. Nor do I seek special treatment
because of past contributions. I do, however, object to a small,
self-appointed group redefining the terms of membership without first
attempting to build a wide concensus.

The fact that TLUG had no formal organizational structure is no excuse for
imposing change from above, as it were, especially to something so
fundamental as the accepted definition of membership. Just because we weren't
in the habit of voting, doesn't mean a vote of the full membership shouldn't
have been called or at least proposed. Does it not seem just a little
undemocratic that an election was held only after the membership was
redefined?

Had the proponents of change approached the full membership in an open and
transparent manner, I'm sure change would have been effected amicably and
there would be no reason for acrimony and alienation.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada