CSIA

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 8 01:25:07 UTC 2005

On 12/7/05, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Scott Elcomb wrote:
>
> >#2 - I posted an item recently under the subject line "CSIA -- an
> >invitation from CIPPIC, EFF, and Bob Young (fwd)" but have heard
> >nothing as yet.  If the board/executive is interested, I'm prepared to
> >present my arguments at the next executive meeting.
> >

> This issue is interesting but it's not without its own controversy.
>
> When the election was called, someone on a local IRC (I forget whether
> it was the CLUE or GTALUG channel) cheered the death of C-60. Yet to
> read the CSIA communiqué, it seems as if the participants are urging the
> passage of the existing bill by whoever forms the next government.
> Apparently there's a fear that the delay in passage might encourage the
> entertainment industry to get more more DMCA-like wording in the
> Canadian law.

There was some confusion around that particular post, and after having
spent a year and a half trying to make sense of the information coming
from Digital Copyright Canada, I think I understand Russell's
clarification.

This confusion is a good part of why I think it's important to get
involved with the CSIA - to find a "common understanding" of what
these ammendments mean to the average person.

C-60, before the non-confidence motion, was quite frankly scary.
That's not to say that it did not have it's good points...  It just
wasn't balanced nearly enough.

> There is already a debate going on within CLUE, which will probably
> support CSIA.

I hope things work out in this regard.  (BTW, I love the new look at linux.ca!)

Thanks for your support and comments Evan.  Truly, they are appreciated.

--
Scott Elcomb
psema4.gotdns.com