CSIA

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 8 01:06:26 UTC 2005

Scott Elcomb wrote:

>#2 - I posted an item recently under the subject line "CSIA -- an
>invitation from CIPPIC, EFF, and Bob Young (fwd)" but have heard
>nothing as yet.  If the board/executive is interested, I'm prepared to
>present my arguments at the next executive meeting.

This issue is interesting but it's not without its own controversy.

When the election was called, someone on a local IRC (I forget whether
it was the CLUE or GTALUG channel) cheered the death of C-60. Yet to
read the CSIA communiqué, it seems as if the participants are urging the
passage of the existing bill by whoever forms the next government.
Apparently there's a fear that the delay in passage might encourage the
entertainment industry to get more more DMCA-like wording in the
Canadian law.

Personally I think the community at large should be aware of the
proposed changes to the copyright law, and make their own opinion
whether it should be supported or needs to be weakened. The commentary
offered on the CSIA announcement that you posted by Russell McOrmond is
worth reading as well.

There is already a debate going on within CLUE, which will probably
support CSIA.

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention, Scott. While
organizational endorsements are nice, the best thing this announcement
can do is to get people knowledgeable about what's going on in a field
that will affect them.

>I'd be (really) happy at this point with a non-board, but productive position, within the incorporated "Greater Toronto Area Linux Users Group Organization".

I can't speak for the GTALUG exec (big surprise ;-) ) but I suspect that
the general attitude toward volunteers is "there's always room for one
more". :-)

- Evan