Incorporation redux

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 8 00:51:38 UTC 2005

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org wrote:

>Actually the structure was something that TLUG lacked. The death of Jan made that very obvious. As for other umbrella groups being available, the people who initiated the incorporation (of which you were one) felt that no such group provided the structure that GTALUG ended up offering.

First off, I was _not_ one of the people who started the incorporation.
I was involved in a few exploratory meetings, came to the conclusion
that the activity was pointless (and said so publicly), and dropped out
long before any real effort was undertaken. Anyone involved is invited
to check their records.

(Honestly, given everything I've said recently, do I sound like someone
who helped to start GTALUG?)

As for filling the vacuum left by Jan, that's a people issue not an
infrastructure issue. Arguably the sudden (but far less tragic)
departure of Laszlo many years previous to Jan's death was an even
greater loss -- yet we coped. TLUG can survive the loss of anyone here
and keep going just fine. The "structure" of TLUG as we've known it
could survive the dissolution of GTALUG tomorrow and hardly anyone would
notice. People who volunteered to help GTALUG could still do their good
work within an unincorporated LUG without diminishing the value of their
work.

All the signs have been -- and not a single argument here has challenged
the notion -- that GTALUG was created to fix something that was never
broken. Having a corporation doesn't magically make the website easier
to manage or spam easier to extract from mailing lists. Nor does it
simplify volunteer recruitment. In fact, it complicates things because
of the costs and extra paperwork involved.

>Everyone knows the vision: To advocate linux and the open source communities within Toronto and the GTA by providing a forum for people to get together and discuss the topics among interested people.

Such a limited goal (one can hardly call it vision) is easily handled
without incorporation. The forums are provided by websites, meetings and
mailing lists, and none of that requires incorporation. Indeed, the vast
majority of LUGs worldwide -- including those I have visited in cities
such as Paris, Sydney, São Paulo and Tokyo -- are not incorporated, yet
they manage to have high quality meetings and mailings -- not to mention
social events -- just the same. Having a national body that is
incorporated (Linux Verband, Japan Linux Association, AFUL, Linux
Australia) which unincorporated local groups can use for infrastructure
as necessary is a globally proven, efficient and successful model. Even
Linux International can be (and has been) used in this context. And it
also worked in Canada, for many years before GTALUG existed.

The only time local LUG incorporation is normally considered is when
there is a desire to do something substantial beyond meetings and
mailings. Usually the nature of that desire is considered before
incorporating (not after), and it's rarely done without getting a broad
consensus of the pre-incorporation community. This is something that the
founders of GTALUG most certainly never did.

And as for the name... it's completely incorrect that the incorporators
could not use the name TLUG for legal reasons. I have a very detailed
explanation of why, but I suspect that to many this thread has been
tiresome.

---

Those of us who hoped for rational debate and understanding about a
greater purpose for incorporation, without personal attack, have been
sadly disappointed. The founders and directors of GTALUG, who are
generally very good and well-meaning people, just can't seem to grasp
what's being asked for, and continuance of this thread is likely to
generate far more heat than light in that regard. I consider this a
missed opportunity for GTALUG to really demonstrate its value to the
broader community, but that's how it goes...

To everyone else, I apologize. I genuinely hoped to help spark an
enlightened discussion about GTALUG's future, one that could help
produce some ideas or energize the community behind its LUG. Instead the
spark seems to have lit a fuse or two. So long as the personal stuff
subsides, I'll stop pressing the issue.

Talk is cheap, there's too much real work to be done in the support of
Linux and the advancement of open source use in Toronto.

- Evan