TLUG vs. GTALUG

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 7 23:16:59 UTC 2005

Paid membership gets you the following:
1) That warm fazzy feeling knowing you are helping offset cost of running this group.
2) voting previliges at the Annual general meeting where board members are voted in.
3) Ability to be on the board and provide input to what GTALUG should be doing.

Paid membership is totally voluntary. I doubt 10% of this list is a paid member. There are certain things that is within the mandate of GTALUG to run free of charge. This list and the monthly meetings fall into that group. So far all the other things that we have done have not required large amounts of money and the executive has normally paid for things as out of pocket expenses.

The real problem with clarifying the services is we the excutive are unsure of what else to offer. We recently arranged a deal with an ISP for highspeed internet for members and one or two people took the ISP up on the offer. We are looking at trying to find package deals for members but there doesn't seem to be any interest in such things among this group.

Also of the 1000 or so people on the list less than 10% find there way to the real life meetings. To most people this is an email list they are on with no intention of becoming any more involved in the community. That is okay with everyone. For the few that want to get involved more please do. It isn't a requirement to be a member to volunteer to help out.

Ultimately this club are the people that are in it. Literally for the last seven years it was Drew's, Jan's, Herb's and my vision. That vision had to be small because there was no resources to make it big.

Bill