TLUG vs. GTALUG

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 7 21:56:09 UTC 2005

--- Tony Abou-Assaleh <taa-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I am completely confused now about the differences
> and the similarities
> between TLUG and GTALUG. I only joined the community
> this Sept, coming
> from nSLUG (Nova Scotia).

I am not a lawyer and I don't even pretend to be one.
However I gather there were some sort of strange legal
@#$% regarding the incorporation of the name TLUG (too
easily confused with the likes of the Toledo and/or
Tokyo Linux User Groups). So, when officially
incorporating last year the powers that be had to pick
a name other other than TLUG. Now the group has been
known informally as TLUG since it's founding by Laszlo
Herczeg in 1994, and the TLUG name will likely be
kicking around for some time to come, but for legal
purposes we are GTALUG (Greater Toronto Area Linux
User Group).

> I somewhat see now that GTALUG is more of an
> official organization, while
> TLUG is plain vanilla LUG. However, the web site
> seem to suggest that the
> two are one and the same. I wouldn't have known that
> there was a
> difference if it wasn't for the the recent
> discussion on this list.

For all practical non-legal purposes TLUG and GTALUG
are one and the same. For legal purposes, TLUG doesn't
exist (at least not in Canada) and the only entity the
law knows anything about is GTALUG.

> Could someone with a better understanding of this
> issue update the wiki
> with a clarification? While I find the history
> behind TLUG/GTALUG
> interesting and useful, I think what is even more
> important for the
> current and prospective members is to understand the
> current state
> of these bodies (regardless of whether it is what it
> should be, just what
> is actually is). Thanks!

Hope the above helps.

Colin McGregor