anonymous FTP

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 7 17:48:27 UTC 2005

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 11:47:13PM -0500, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> Paul King wrote:
> >I have a need to transfer archived files via FTP between machines at
> >home. I have the FTP directory set up on one machine. Under /ftp/pub are
> >a collection of archived files which I have kept over the years. The
> >host machine is running FC3, and the client machine is running FC4.
> >
> >I have ensured that the vsftp daemon is running, and that the machines
> >can "see" each other. I can contact the FC3 machine through my web
> >browser.
> >
> >However, what is happening is that I can log on to the remote machine,
> >but as soon as I do an "ls" or a file transfer I get an error "no route
> >to host". Any ideas what is going on?
>
> Some firewall ports are blocked.
>
> FTP is a tricky in fact protocol.

Yes, with FTP, you need to open 20 and 21 (or, use 'passive' option).

    $ lsmod | grep ftp
    ip_nat_ftp        3072   0
    ip_nat            17044  3  ipt_MASQUERADE,iptable_nat,ip_nat_ftp
    ip_conntrack_ftp  6512   1  ip_nat_ftp
    ip_conntrack      44732  6  ipt_MASQUERADE,iptable_nat,ipt_state,ip_nat_ftp,ip_nat,ip_conntrack_ftp

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
BashDiff: Super Bash shell