OT: Sympatico mail

G. Matthew Rice matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 7 16:07:47 UTC 2005

interlug-list <interlug-vSRlqIl1h/9eoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org> writes:
> On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 10:03, John McGregor wrote:
> > I want to ask the Sympatico users here if they have been experiencing
> > any problems with mail delivery lately.
>
> I had a look at a sympatico-connected system last night.  Outgoing mail
> is limited to a few lines of text.  Anything longer gets a timeout from
> the smtp server.

Sounds like the classic 'my firewall is going to block all ICMP traffic'
problem.  Depending on who you ask, there are at least 1 and possibly up
to 4 (IIRC) ICMP packet types that you should allow.

Google for: icmp types firewall

and you should get some good reading (if this is, in fact, the problem).

> Here's a big surprise. Tech Support had "no idea... but would you like
> to hear about our other offers?"  Sympatico; you've got questions; we've
> got blank stares.

Any sufficiently advanced support team is indistinguishable from sales?

HTH,
--
g. matthew rice <matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>           starnix, toronto, ontario, ca
phone: 647.722.5301 x242                                  gpg id: EF9AAD20