TLUG and government grants

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 6 08:49:33 UTC 2005

William Park wrote:

>If Evan has vision, then I encourage him to step forward and carry the ball.

Please don't stoop to ad hominems.

>We are member-driven organization.  That means, we gotta have bodies first, then try to coordinate.

That's not how it works.

1) First you express a vision and realistic goals based on that vision.

2) People choose to join based on affinity with the vision and goals.

3) Then, based on resources at hand (people, money, technology, etc),
you develop plans to accomplish the goals.

I'm not complaining about the lack of #3, I agree that's premature. I'm
commenting on the bypassing of #1. Plans can change frequently, but
goals change rarely and vision should be a constant.

I am not speaking as someone who has created and supports other
community projects, though my experiences with those efforts has
assisted my perspective. I am not speaking on behalf of any organization
or anyone else, though I know there are others out there who share my
views. I am speaking as one of the people GTALUG is trying to convert
from unpaid to paid membership. I am simply stating what it will take to
get me (and others with whom I've spoken) to join.

It was not I who changed the rules and said that TLUG was morphing into
a pay-to-join organization. I am challenging GTALUG to sell the
community on its rationale for doing this (beyond the somewhat lame
purpose of controlling resources that worked well without control). I am
certainly not the first person to have raised this.

The message that started this thread was a reminder (to me) that the
challenge has not yet been addressed so I raised it again. If the
response is to attack me personally rather than address the challenge,
that's unfortunate.

- Evan