Another dead power supply

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 5 22:33:49 UTC 2005

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 05:26:06PM -0500, Mike Newman wrote:
> On 12/5/05, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > I used to spend $200 to $300 on PC Power & Cooling TurboCool 300s, but
> > now I use Enermax or Antec for a lot less money.
> I got an Enermax a year ago and it's worked flawlessly until about two
> weeks ago. It just coughed and suffered permadeath this weekend.
> I loved that the fan kept running for a couple of minutes after
> shutdown (why doesn't every component do that?), but for the price I
> really expected more than a year of service. Just my $0.02.

I have had a maxtor drive die 4 hours after taking it out of the box.  I
haven't held that against them.  I would have been more upset if it died
after 1 month since then I would have had data on it and had to restore
that.

Everything fails, hence the MTBF.  That's the mean time, so some fail
earlier, some might never fail.  I have taken one of the turbocools out
of service since the fan started to make a lot of noise.  Even ball
bearings can wear out, and unfortunately that particular model had the
fan power connector soldered in place so it would take a bit of work to
replace (I was lazy and just got an antec power supply for it instead).
So yeah even the best stuff does fail sometimes.  It's the stuff that
fails routinely that you want to watch out for, or stuff that kills
your other hardware.

Lennart Sorensen